• Slovensko (SLO)
  • Russian (RUS)
  • English   (EN)
  • Español (ES)
Documents PDF Print E-mail

Documents required for registration of a marriage in Slovenia. (if both of the newlyweds are foreigners):

  • Passport.
  • Copy from the register of birth certificates.
  • Certificate of unmarried state or other certificate showing married state.
  • Certificate by the state of the foreigner confirming that there are no obstacles for marriage.


Copies and certificates have to be issued for international use, legally verified and translated to Slovene. Certificates can be issued on the international form if the state signed Paris or Vienna Convention. Documents cannot be more than 6 months old.


The documents can be older in case there is a rule that the state issues such copies only once demonstrating a registrar fact and not (un)married state. 


Currency converter PDF Print E-mail


Information on embassies and consulates PDF Print E-mail


United States of America

Slovenian Missions


Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Washington D.C.

2410 California Street, N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20008


Phone: (+) 1 202 667 53 63

Fax: (+) 1 202 667 45 63

E-mail: vwa(at)gov.si

WWW: http://washington.embassy.si/en

Responsible for: Mexico, United States of America

Ambassador: H.E. Roman Kirn

Slovenian Missions


Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia

150 Metcalfe Street Suite 2200 Ottawa, Ontario K2P 1P1


Phone: (+) 1 613 565 57 81

Fax: (+) 1 613 565 57 83

E-mail: vot(at)gov.si

Responsible for: Canada

H.E. Mr. Tomaž Kunstelj, Ambassador

www: http://ottawa.embassy.si/en

Border formalities PDF Print E-mail

Border formalities are limited to the minimum and meet European standards. With the joining of the Schengen area, internal borders have been eliminated, which means that border crossings between Slovenia and Italy, Austria and Hungary can be freely made. If the visit lasts less than three months, all that is necessary to cross the external border with Croatia is a valid passport or personal identity document. Citizens of European Union Member states, Croatia and Switzerland can cross the border with a valid personal identification document, but the stay cannot exceed thirty days. A Schengen visa is available to anyone who needs a visa in order to visit Slovenia. It can be obtained at Slovenian consulates in the applicants’ own countries, or at the consulates of all state members of the Schengen area. All Schengen member states issue Schengen visas under the same conditions, taking into account the interests of other member states as well. Visas issued by one of the Schengen states are valid for other member states as well, which is to the benefit of citizens of third countries if they would like to visit more than one Schengen member state.

Children can travel and cross external borders only with a valid document for crossing a state border. The document in question is usually a valid passport. In some cases, it can also be a valid personal identity card or other document for crossing a state border (issued on the basis of special bilateral agreements). The manner of issuing documents varies from country to country, with some states issuing separate individual documents and some states entering children into their parents’ passports; all of this is taken into account when crossing a border.